Important Events: 10/17: Reconciliation Meeting @ 7:00pm 10/18: Portillo's for Good @ 5-8pm (S. Halsted Street)
Good afternoon Room 105 Families,
Thank you to those of you who are always so patient with me. This last week has been crazy, with conferences and even my little car accident! I am getting right back on track and have created a new system to make sure I do not get this behind again. Here are a few important updates:
1. Last week we focused on fables and folktales, taking a break from our normal test schedule. The students all wrote their very own fables so look forward to those coming home. Our normal tests will start again this Friday with our usual test!
2. I am starting a new math system in our classroom. I am going to be teaching a 10 minute mini lesson and then will pull groups to my table in 15 minute increments. This will help me teach to each individual and push them as far as I need to. I have also introduced a new website to the children. It is mathgames.com. I will be sending home a note card tomorrow with each child's login. This website has some great games to help students with their math facts. I will also be assigning work to the students that they will be completing during their technology station during math. This will allow me to zero in on exactly what skill each child is missing.
3. We are spending our religion time this week to work on our Respect Life Essays. Tomorrow, I will be sending home a letter explaining the essay. Students will be bringing home their rough drafts to work on with you. They will then turn a final draft in by the 27th. Help your child through the writing process :)
4. Friday I will not be in school. Please talk with you child about how important it is to behave for the substitute. There are a few students who are very nervous about me being gone for the day, so please encourage them to think the best about the day. It will be a normal Fun Friday and I am leaving incredibly detailed notes for the substitute. Also, Fran Grund will be in the room the ENTIRE day, so I am not worried about the day.
5. Check out our new tab! I have created a page or resources for you all to look at, including what we use in class! :)
Hello! The time is almost here... Field trip day! Here are a few reminders: 1. We are wearing our school uniforms. This will help students stick out to us :) No children will be lost on this trip! 2. Lunches need to be packed for every student! They need to be in a paper/plastic bag so we can dispose of them easily. 3. Anyone with a medication: I will have these medications in MY chaperone bag. The nurse will be giving me a schedule and directions.
Thank you to our chaperones for this trip: Mrs. Connell, Mrs. Barnes, Mr. Raudry, and Mrs. Chukwudebe! We are excited for you to join us here in Room 105 :)
Just a reminder that tomorrow is our class mass. This means students are allowed to dress up for the day. We do have gym, so please make sure they have appropriate shoes.
As for our pizza party, I am still unsure of when this party will be. I will give you a heads up and send home a note so that you are fully aware! I am so proud of the effort that they put into our door, physically and intellectually. We have a smart bunch in this room!
1. Second graders and I have started a new assignment notebook/ take home folder system today. They are not allowed to pack up until I have seen their assignment notebook and their take home folders. If a child does not come home with homework, no worries because that means there is none!
2. There has been an issue with students forgetting to sign out or clicking the wrong name of RazKids. I am updating all of their passwords so stay tuned for the new passwords to be sent home.
3. Don't forget our field trip coming up on the October 9th. Reminder, students are in their uniforms and need to bring their own lunch!
4. There is no comprehension portion of our reading test this Friday. We will however be taking the vocabulary and focus skill portion of the test.
Thank you again! Email or call me with any questions.
I thought I would post the schedule for this week on our website as well!
Monday: Professional/College Jersey Day (school pants and shoes required) Tuesday: Pajama /Crazy hair/ Crazy socks day Wednesday: Dress for Success (Dress in fancy clothes) Thursday: Dress like a Disney Character or Super Hero Friday: IJP Spirit Day! Dress in IJP spirit wear and/or white and red.
Important Dates: 9/22: Parents Night Out 9/23: Block Party 10/09: Field Trip
AR TESTING We have started using AR testing in the classroom! I have a whole library in my room and during the day, students have the opportunity to read a book and take a quiz. If you would like to read books with your student at home, you are more than welcome to! They take quizzes every day in 105 during their reading stations! The goal for each student at this point is 15 books by the end of the trimester (it took us a while to get going on AR). Next trimester I am bumping it up to 30!
RAZ-KIDS I have decided to purchase Raz-Kids for our classroom! This is an online program that is able to be done both at home and in school. Usernames and passwords will be going home on Monday. This program allows children to read books at their own reading level and answer questions based on skills they may be missing. The trick is that students are to be reading the stories by themselves. They have the option to listen and read the books. If you notice your child is only listening to stories, please remind them that they need to read the stories too! If you have any questions about this program, feel free to contact me.
FIELD TRIP Our field trip is quickly approaching! Don't forget that on Columbus Day, we will be going on a field trip to the Museum of Science and Industry. Students need to bring their own lunch on this field trip. If you could try and pack your student's lunch in a plastic/paper bag, this would make clean up and transportation much easier. It is a $12 field trip, and chaperones (you know who you are) you are free! :)
HOUSEKEEPING Assignment notebooks have not been consistently filled out in Room 105. I am starting a new protocol where we will be filling out assignment notebooks together and I will be signing them before students are able to put them away. Thank you for being patient as I did not know there were so many unfinished assignment books. Lesson learned!
Toys: Please have your children keep any Legos or cards at home. These have been traded between grades and it is causing some issue. To avoid any problems, I would please like all toys of this nature to please stay home.
Important Reminders: Picture day is on Friday 8/25 Back to School Night is on Tuesday 8/29 Welcome to our class website! Finally we are up and running! I want to thank you all again for hanging in these first few days of school. I greatly appreciate it. I have a feeling this will be one memorable year for us all.
I will be using this website to keep families updated on what is going on in our classroom. This includes important information, test dates, special events, etc. This information will also be written in your student's assignment notebook. Another thing I would like to use this website for is to show you all what we have been doing in Room 105. With the signed permission slips, I will take pictures of the students for this website so that you can see how hard all of your children are working during the day.
If you have any other questions, feel free to email or call me. Thank you again for your patience. I am so happy to have joined such a wonderful school family!